Vacation Stories


We have had a very interesting vacation so far. It started on Friday, September 8, at around 6 am. As we were just leaving Baltimore, about 45 minutes into our trip, Zachary throws up in the car. We are just entering the D.C. traffic and no exits in sight. Zachary insists he isn’t sick. Wendy gets him cleaned up and we continue our trip.

The trip was going smoothly. We were expecting to arrive in Atlanta around 4 pm. Wendy and I were alternating driving. I had not told her what road we were to turn on next and she never asked. Sometime around 3:00 pm I realized that we had never taken our exit off of I-95. By that time we were already two hours off course and had to take some alternate roads (including one that I doubt anyone outside of the area had ever been on before). We made it to Atlanta around 8:00 pm after an extra four hours of driving.

Last night my mom woke us up to tell us that Zachary was crying. Wendy checked on him and he was complaining of severe earache. I sat up with him for several hours while he thrashed around. He finally threw himself on the floor and thrashed around for awhile and got still. I asked if he wanted to lie down on the sofa and he walked over to it and fell asleep. We took him to a clinic today to discover that he has an ear infection. Of course, Wendy, Ashton and I all have a little cold that Zachary must have given to us.

We also took a tour today of the devastation from Hurricane Katrina in Mississippi. I lived and worked there for 8 years. We wanted to see the places we original visited on the day we were engaged. None of them exist anymore. The beachside building where I worked in Biloxi is gone, foundation and all. It was sad to drive along the beaches in Pascagoula, Biloxi and Gulfport and see empty lots where once majestic mansions from the pre-civil war era stood. Historic landmarks have been completely destroyed. One year after the hurricane, most businesses along the beach are still empty shells or worse. We were amazed to see that the lighthouses right along the beaches in Biloxi and Gulfport were still standing without any visible signs of damage.

Comments

Anonymous said…
This post really bothers me. I don't know....somehow going two hours out of the way seems like the worst thing that could happen on a trip! (Can you tell who maps out the route in our family?) Although I'm not sure we would have gotten even that far after someone threw up in the first bit. You guys are troopers!

Desiré from SL

Popular posts from this blog

Dirty Feet

Pampered and Pacified

Silent Lord's Supper