Free Dramatic Script

Special one time offer. Free dramatic script for use as you like for your church.

What Is Eternity Like?
© 2000, Stephen R. Poole

Cast: 2 men

Props: chairs set-up like a park bench and a newspaper or book

Setting: 2 men are sitting on a bench. The 1st man is reading a newspaper or book while the 2nd man is looking at passersby. The 1st man keeps startling the 2nd out of his solitude. There should be time for thought between exchanges, but not so much as to make it too comical. People may question who 1st man is . . .let them think about it and decide for themselves.

1st: [Lowers the paper/book just enough to see his face—as if thinking out loud] Have you ever wondered about the hereafter?

2nd: Huh? Are you talking to me?

1st: I’m sorry. I just asked if you ever wonder about the hereafter?

2nd: [thinks for a few seconds] Not much, I guess. [continues to watch people pass getting back into his own world as the 1st goes back to his reading]

1st: [Puts the paper/book down in his lap] I mean, what benefit is there going to be for me after I am gone?

2nd: What?

1st: Yes, what benefit will there be to death?

2nd: Well . . .none I would think. Death is just the end.

1st: Exactly my point.

2nd: I’m sorry, but did I miss something?

1st: I don’t think so. You seem to be doing very well.

2nd: [Confused] I . . .see . . .[they go back to their tasks]

1st: [putting the paper/book beside him] Some people say that we will spend all of eternity just singing praises to God.

2nd: [somewhat more prepared for the interruption this time] To God, huh?

1st: Yes, to God. Now, I imagine that praising God is alright—I have done some of that before—but to sing over and over and over for all of eternity.

2nd: Does seem like a long song.

1st: Well, I doubt that it will be the same song. No, I imagine that they would throw in a new song every now and then. But the point is that these people believe that kneeling and singing for all of eternity is a great thing.

2nd: Not me! If that is eternity, then count me out. I get tired of singing the same songs at our church every time I go.

1st: How often do you go?

2nd: [slightly embarrassed] Well, uh, usually I go . . .I mean, we try to go . . .it is at least . . . [with conviction] Twice a year!

1st: Christmas and Easter?

2nd: Yes.

1st: Well . . .I can see how they would always sing the same songs. But YOU can see my point even more clearly then, right?

2nd: Of course. I don’t like church much now. Why would I like it after I have died?

1st: Exactly! [they return to their own activities]

1st: [pretends to check the time] Will you look at the time. There are many others I need to talk to today. It has been a pleasure.

2nd: Wait! Do you just go around talking to people about eternity?

1st: Not always, but it is a hobby of mine. I like to keep count you see. Sort of like taking a poll.

2nd: Who are you?

1st: [amazed] You don’t know? [sinister] Well, let’s just say that today you have convinced me that we will meet again someday. Very soon.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dirty Feet

Pampered and Pacified

Silent Lord's Supper