Memorial Day 2009

In honor of the many men and women who have fought for the freedoms of our country and especially for those who have died in the pursuit to keep us free, I dedicate this poem for Memorial Day 2009. I wrote it for my father eight years ago. It expresses for me how much of a sacrifice he made and why I will always be thankful to the men and women who serve valiantly defending America.


War Never Ends
© 2001, Stephen R. Poole

I stood there near a ship
Looking out to sea
I hardly knew the man
He hardly knew me

His eyes spoke of hardships
Things too hard to tell
His hands rough and cracked
And then I heard a bell

He turned and looked at me
His voice choked, yet strong
“The war continues raging
I cannot linger long”

He turned, faced my mom
The tears began to flow
His fingers wiped the tears
I heard the whistle blow

Boarded, bound for somewhere
I watched him as he went
Whenever one fell wounded
Another one was sent

I never really knew him
Until the very end
The war, long forgotten
Left many wounds to mend

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dirty Feet

Pampered and Pacified

Silent Lord's Supper