Autistic Basketball Manager's 20 Point Game

Watching this not only made me think about our struggles and victories, but it also reminded me of when I played basketball way back in first grade at the W.W. Houston Boy's Club in Norfolk, Virginia. The team was not age based. We had boys of all ages and I was by far the youngest.

I had attended all of the practices and sat on the bench week after week at the games. On the final game both teams decided to allow me to make a basket. I was passed the ball and threw it up as hard as I could again and again. It never came close. Finally one of the other boys lifted me onto his shoulder and the ball was handed up to me. I shot again and made a basket. I can remember being so happy that I not only made my first basket, but that I scored 2 points in a real game. I salute the coach who made the decision to let Jason McElwain play in this game.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dirty Feet

Pampered and Pacified

Silent Lord's Supper