Christian Ethics

It has been almost a month since anything new has been posted to my blog. But there is a good reason...I haven't written anything. Amazing how you have to write something to actually blog. Sometimes when I look at the number of page views on my blog I wonder if I am only writing for the sake of writing. But every once in a while I hear from somebody (typically through facebook) that read my blog and enjoyed something about it. So, I thought I would share a devotional that I never used.

Psalm 15

A psalm of David.
1 LORD, who may dwell in your sanctuary?
Who may live on your holy hill?
2 He whose walk is blameless
and who does what is righteous,
who speaks the truth from his heart
3 and has no slander on his tongue,
who does his neighbor no wrong
and casts no slur on his fellowman,

In the Christian Ethics class at seminary, future pastors were often asked how they would handle this situation:
A search committee calls to get a reference for a minister on your staff. This minister has caused many problems at your church and you will not be sad to see them leave. Do you give the search committee a glowing report in hopes that they will call him away or do you give them an honest report and risk this minister staying longer at your church?
Many would justify giving a good report:
· It would be wrong to speak negatively about a fellow minister
· Maybe he will do better at another church
· The things which happened at our church are confidential and I cannot share that information with another church
· It would be more harmful to our church if he stays
The professor to my knowledge never answered what he would do in that situation.
We all face similar quandaries in life. Times when we must decide whether to adhere to the truth or fudge a little so that we can be more comfortable. This scripture passage emphasizes God’s love for truth as well as His love for those who do nothing to cause hurt to their fellow man.
While truth is of the utmost importance, how can you maintain truth without hurting someone when they ask questions like:
· Does this dress make me look fat?
· Do you like my singing voice?
· Did you like the pie I made you?
Jesus was faced with several quandaries. The religious leaders tried to trap Him with a question about tithes and with a question about healing on the Sabbath. Jesus knew their hearts and knew they were trying to trap Him. We may not have that advantage, but we are charged with being truth bearers still.
Knowing that we are all sinners is no excuse for telling lies or for saying things that will hurt others. We have all heard the adage, “If you have nothing nice to say, don’t say anything at all,” but that does not work when someone wants your honest opinion concerning a sticky subject.
Like in the Kit Kat commercials, perhaps when faced with a situation like these you just need to take a quick prayer break and ask God to provide you with the wisdom to answer honestly without being negative.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dirty Feet

Pampered and Pacified

Silent Lord's Supper