Working for God

I have been serving in paid ministry in one way or another since 1982. My first position was as an interim music minister for my home church, Temple Baptist in Big Point, Mississippi, when I was only 17 years old. Since then I have: traveled with a music group on the road for a year, sleeping in homes and performing 6-7 concerts a week; lived overseas in the country of Jordan for a year and half as an International Service Corps volunteer with the then Foreign Mission Board; and served in churches in Mississippi, Missouri, Texas, Florida and now Maryland as a Minister of Music and Youth, Minister of Music and Education, Minister of Music and Administration, and a Music and Worship Pastor.

I often hear people comment that it must be nice to have a job where you are around Christians all of the time. I won't lie to you, it is wonderful, but there are some disadvantages. Being around Christians all of the time makes it difficult to find time to witness to the lost outside of the church. It is also easy to forget our priorities when our job is ministry and the church is our family. Those first three priorities get all mixed together: God, family and job.

Some people think that working so closely with Christians all of the time is a negative because we get to see the best and worst in them and they get to see the best and worst in us. However, I see that as a positive thing. It means that they are being real and not putting on a show for us at church. Why should I act any different around Christians than I do when I am not around Christians? I want to be a part of the struggles and victories of my Christian family and I hope that they want the same from their ministers. That is how we grow closer, that is how we grow stronger, that is how we learn to love each other regardless of our faults and idiosyncrasies.

I love working for God, and while sometimes I feel like the donut man who passes himself coming and going, I know that I serve a Savior who loved me enough that He gave His very life for me. Can I do any less for him? So here is a tribute to all of my fellow ministers in Christ:

"Rest in Him"
Meter: 7.7.7.7 (can be sung to the tune TRUSTING JESUS)

All we have we give to God:
Fish and bread or wooden rod,
Without Him our lives grow dim,
That is why we rest in Him.

When the world caves in on you,
Let them know His word is true.
Never let the candle dim,
Let your life show rest in Him.

God the Father, Christ the Son,
Holy Spirit, Three in One.
Never let your love grow dim,
Live for God and rest in Him.

REFRAIN:

Simply let Him help you rest,
Put your faith and trust to test,
Listen to these words we say:
"Give your life to Him today."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dirty Feet

Pampered and Pacified

Silent Lord's Supper