Holidays for Music Ministers

PREFACE: This post is not intended for church members to read. Seriously, don't read it. I don't want you to think that I am complaining so that you will pity me. This post is meant for my fellow music ministers.

Yes, it's that most wonderful time of the year and what a week! I worked 15 hours Sunday, 18 hours Monday, a mere 9 hours Tuesday, 13 hours Wednesday, only about 4 hours Thursday because it was my day off, 12 hours today, and it looks to be about 5 hours tomorrow before I start the next week with 3 worship services on Sunday followed by three surgery visits in three different cities on the three days prior to Thanksgiving.

My wife told me yesterday that my crazy schedule wears HER out. I guess that no matter how quiet I am in the morning, having an alarm go off two mornings in a row at 4 AM does not help her sleep well. Not to mention the problems she has when our youngest son gets upset because I left before he was awake and was not coming home until after he was in bed for several days.

I was only home for 5 out of 18 meals this week which does not make my wife happy when she is trying to make sure that I eat healthy and keep my cholesterol under control. I was so tired of eating out that I was happy to have hamburger helper tonight. I don't think I can take another hamburger or chicken sandwich for awhile.

I was sitting at church tonight working on programming the lights for three different musicals (Children's Choir, Homeschool drama group, and the Adult musical) when I suddenly decided that I really should just go home and forget about trying to figure out how to address the channels for the lights on the garlands and wreaths until Monday evening.

So, this is for all of my fellow music ministers out there. I am taking a stand by sitting at home. I have taken Friday night off. We even canceled our Bible Study tonight (mostly due to the fact that the teacher--me--has not had time to prepare). I have enjoyed some quiet time, a family meal (OK, so we watched Monk on Netflix while we ate it), and I plan to beat the socks off of my son in a board game or card game later. I will not answer emails concerning church stuff. I will not practice my lines for the musical. I will not spend time preparing for my solo on Sunday.

And next Thursday I may even turn off my phone while we enjoy a movie (something we only do about once a year). I do not care that I am on call 24 hours a day. I will not feel guilty if I am unavailable for 2-3 hours out of the year. And I may even refuse to answer the phone on Thanksgiving day. People can always leave a voice message if it is an emergency. I plan to spend some quality time with my family and the hundred other families who go out to Cracker Barrel for their meal. And I encourage all of my fellow music ministers to do the same. Unplug, unwind and enjoy the holiday because, if you are like me, there is a Gospel concert at your church only two days after Thanksgiving and then you start the Advent season.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dirty Feet

Pampered and Pacified

Silent Lord's Supper