Worthy of What?

I have been contemplating "worth" lately. Not in any specific context, just the concept and meaning of the word. For instance, this blog has on average of 100 readers per week plus those who might read the posts on facebook...so do I ever post anything that is really worth the effort of those who take the time to check out the blog?

Honestly posting worthwhile comments was not my original intent when I started a blog. I just planned on share some random thoughts of things that interested me. That is why I labeled it Mental Musing. But lately I have wondered why should I bother posting anything if it is not worthy of being shared?

But worth is something that actually creeps into our minds quite often. What are my possessions worth? What is my time worth? Is this worth my effort? Am I doing anything worthwhile with my life? Sometimes we substitute other words such as value, success, or gain.

I guess the one that concerns me most is when I hear somebody say that they feel worthless. This is also said in many different manners: I don't have any skills or talents, I am too dumb to learn how to do that, I wish there was something that I could do, etc. Such expressions are cries for help. It is a short distance from "I am worthless" to "why should I continue to live." Teens throw out such phrases all the time in an effort to get attention, unfortunately their cries often go unnoticed.

King David said, "You have searched me Lord and You know me. Where can I go from Your Spirit? Where can I flee from Your presence? You created my inmost being. You knit me together in my mother's womb. I praise You because I am fearfully and wonderfully made." Psalm 139:1,7,13 and 14.

Now that I have two teenagers, I hear all about the drama: posturing, bullying, snide comments, insecurities, and even downright hatred among teens. They experience lots of negativity along with the normal peer pressure. And are we any better about keeping a positive attitude? I personally cannot handle all of the drama among the teens and I only hear about it second hand. Our teens need a role model that doesn't put them down and a hero that will never fail them. That person is Jesus. And we need to direct them to Him, by showing them that they are worth our time and effort.

Not too long ago I noticed a comment on facebook by a teenage girl. She simply posted that she wished she could die. Her friends all posted funny comments and laughed about it. I sent her a private message and told her that I was praying for her and that I would be willing to talk with her at anytime if she just needed to talk with someone. She was probably just joking around herself, but I wanted her to know that somebody cared for her. She never messaged back and dropped me as a facebook friend. I guess she was only joking and was embarrassed that I would take it seriously, but we cannot afford to ignore the cries from our youth whether real or not.

I would imagine that the same thing goes for other ages as well. Just sit and listen to conversations among adults and you will often hear many of the same issues and negativity pop up. Our world needs Christ and we have been given the task of introducing them to Him. We need to let the world know that they were worthy enough for God to take the time to make them and that they were worthy enough that He died in their place so that they could have an eternal relationship with Him.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I like it very much!
Anonymous said…
THX for sharing

Popular posts from this blog

Dirty Feet

Pampered and Pacified

Silent Lord's Supper