Are Christians to Blame?

Perhaps President Obama was right when he said that America is not a Christian nation. We used to be,. We were founded on Christian values. Religious freedom was at the core of our Constitution. But I believe the evidence shows that as a nation we have turned our face from God.

Have we finally reached the tipping point where Christians have no real sway in the moral direction of our country? When Evangelical Christians and the Catholic church cannot convince Americans that issues such as abortion on demand and same-sex marriage are things which should not be allowed in our nation, I think we must face the fact that we are on the losing side of the culture war.

I was beyond sad to see Christians show their support for same-sex marriage, abortion, and even gambling. When we see Christians who have been blinded to God's word by those who claim that these sins are "rights of women" or "equality for all" than we are not only losing the culture war, we are losing our focus in "teaching them to obey everything that [God] has commanded." Matthew 28:20. These are absolutes with God, yet Christians want to follow the path of situational ethics rather than God's Word.

We can blame others for their evil ways and for following the desires of their own hearts, but the true blame falls on a Christian society that will not follow God's commands to "go and make disciples." Christians are more concerned with their own family time, or sporting events, or other forms of entertainment than they are about the salvation of their neighbors or in loving the unlovable. We are on the same path as Israel when the psalmist wrote: "But my people would not listen to me; Israel would not submit to me. So I gave them over to their stubborn hearts to follow their own devices." Psalm 81:11-12

As a minister I have seen a large decline in Christians willing to give of their time to serve God. I pray that those who call themselves God's people will heed the warning in 2 Chronicles 7:14: "If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."

O Church, Arise.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dirty Feet

Pampered and Pacified

Silent Lord's Supper