Passion



One among the billions wandering through the street
Liars, cheats, and scum were all that I would meet
Wailing, screaming, pleading, no help could we find there
For each and everyone had nothing but despair

Our sentence had been ordered, guilty everyone
No room was there for recourse; we knew what we had done
The words the judge declared rang throughout my head
“Found guilty on all counts, you’ll hang until your dead”

There was no hope for me, the die at last was cast
I hungered for the day when I would finally breathe my last
Standing on a hillside he looked on my disgrace
Tenderness and mercy could best describe his face

He looked on me with sadness; a tear fell from his eye
I heard his voice inside my head as he began to cry
“Father, these are mine, you promised them to me
I’ll pay for all their crimes, I’ll set the captives free”

Then riding on a donkey, the people gathered round
The crowd was all excited at this man that they had found
They shouted “Hoshiana” proclaiming him their king
Lifting up their voices they each began to sing

Enthusiasm waned and I do not know why
But these same people came and shouted “Crucify”
Arrested, beaten, taunted, they nailed him on a tree
Displayed just like a criminal on top of Calvary

A mighty quaking rumble caused most of them to run
A soldier spoke beside me, “This must be God’s own Son.”
I looked upon his cross as he gently said to me
“Your guilt is gone forever, my blood has set you free”

They buried him that evening, the stone rolled into place
But early Sunday morning I looked upon his face
Risen from the dead, victor of the grave
Jesus reigns forevermore; he holds the power to save

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dirty Feet

Pampered and Pacified

Silent Lord's Supper