Published Children's Book



This week I published a children's book on CreateSpace, an Amazon company. I have more than a dozen items published with various companies, including skits, articles, hymns, and poetry. I have even written and produced television commercials for a local cable channel and acting in a commercial that was aired nationally. But the process to get my first book published took much more time and work than any of these, mainly due to all of the editing.

Mr. Black's Secret is a Chapter Book for children. It actually started as a bedtime story that I was writing for my sons. I would write a chapter and then read it to them. I really had no plan for how the story would end until I got to the final chapters. I actually finished writing it in 2006. I was living in Maryland without my family for a month waiting for the closing date on our home, so I spent my evenings writing. Over the past year I have been editing and fine tuning the book. The story originally had my two boys cast as the main characters, but I have changed that for the book.

Mr. Black's Secret is about brothers Will and Andrew. It begins on the day that they first bring Mr. Black home from the pet store. Mr. Black is the name given to Andrew's all black bunny. The real adventure begins the next morning when they wake to discover that Mr. Black is not what they thought he was. His secret leads them into a wild adventure in another world where they are told they must face the evil Cozener who is trying to destroy the Elven Kingdom. Will and Andrew have to find the courage to do what none of the grown-ups will dare to do. Along the way, the boys learn about faith, family, and fantastic tales. A great book to read with your children or grandchildren.

Unlike my other experiences with published works, I did not get paid an advance. I only make money from royalties, but I maintain all rights and ownership of my book. The paperback print copy of the book is available on Amazon for $5.99 or as a Kindle ebook for $2.99. If you are an Amazon Prime member you can even borrow the Kindle version for free. The book can also be ordered directly from my online e-store on CreateSpace.

CreateSpace is not a Vanity Publisher. Beware any company that tells you they want to publish your book, but you have to pay them $1500-6000 for their help in publicity and marketing. CreateSpace gets their cut from the front end of sales. Since they are part of the Amazon company their cut is also included in the cost to sell through Amazon making the required per book price lower.

I guess I am a little ADHD when it comes to my writing. I spend a little time on one story and then switch to my blog and then move over to writing dramatic sketches and then write a bible study and then write some song lyrics or poetry. I would love to spend more time writing, especially so I could be focused on one project at a time, but my ministry requirements have always led me to shift my focus based on the needs of the ministry. In February I started writing the dramatic parts for our Broadway-style Christmas musical, so that took my focus away from my other writings.

I am currently trying to stay focused on writing a book for drama and musical theater ministries called Act Out. Look for for more information on it soon.

Order Mr. Black's Secret today:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dirty Feet

Pampered and Pacified

Silent Lord's Supper