Driving and Asthma

So today I was returning from a meeting about an hour from the church when I suddenly felt extremely lethargic and a little sick to my stomach. I was having trouble keeping my eyes open and it was a struggle to keep my head and arms from simply dropping. Coupled with the rainy weather and high summertime traffic, this was not a good feeling to have while zooming down Interstate 95. Since my home is closer to the Interstate exit than the church, I decided I should swing by my house before heading back to the church. It was an enormous effort to get my feet out of the car and walk up the steps to get in the house, but that movement made me realize something: I was having trouble breathing.

I have had asthma for about five years and I am still trying to learn how to tell when I am experiencing problems with my breathing. It seems that the symptoms are never the same. I have experienced this sudden exhaustion before, but I was with someone else and able to let them drive the rest of the way. Today's experience reminded me of just how dangerous something as common as asthma can be. I always carry a rescue inhaler with me and would have used it if I had only known that what I was experiencing was asthma. The lack of sufficient oxygen also makes it more difficult to think clearly, which is another negative impact on driving.

If you suffer from asthma, I want to stress the importance of learning the causes and effects of your asthma. I will soon be participating in what is called a Methacholine Challenge Test to help my doctor understand what is causing my asthma. Once I know that, perhaps I will be better prepared for these sudden bouts of asthma.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dirty Feet

Pampered and Pacified

Silent Lord's Supper