Long Road to Hope


The past few years have been extremely difficult for my family, specifically with financial and health issues. Some of these issues are behind us and some continue to linger on. It has been and remains a long, hard road, and we cannot always see why God has led us down this winding path overgrown with weeds and thorns that hide the many rocks and potholes.

I know that there are some people who think that Christians, especially pastors, should not share so much online because it appears to be self serving, bragging, seeking sympathy, or used as a means to promote yourself. Others belittle any problems that you have by telling you that things could be worse, as if to say that you should keep your problems to yourself. These people apparently believe that Christians should be more like the family in this video:




Too many Christians feel the need to hide the reality of their lives. But God has a different perspective about this: His Word teaches us that we are to laugh and cry with one another and to shout when we are suffering.
“Rejoice with those who rejoice; mourn with those who mourn.” (Romans 12:15, NIV) 
“We also glory [The Message version says: “shout our praise”] in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope.” (Romans 5:3 & 4, NIV)
We have become a socially connected world, yet there are some Christians who want to put down individuals who use social media to share about their life or the lives of their children and family. How can we rejoice with those who rejoice if we tell them to keep quite about what they are doing? How can we mourn with others if we haven’t heard about their problems?

A very wise ministry friend once told me that God does everything for a purpose. Usually it is so we can show others how God brought us through difficulties, so that God gets the glory. I hated hearing that message when we were first learning about the struggles we would go through with autism, ADHD, Tourette’s, and growth hormone deficiency issues. But our struggles have helped many others who have found themselves in similar situations with their children. I did not want to hear that message when Wendy had to quit playing the piano due to tendinitis or while I was struggling with singing because of asthma. But people have seen how we have continued to serve God regardless of how we have felt.

Why do Christians still fear sharing their faults, their struggles, their trials, or even their triumphs with others? We should be some of the most caring, forgiving, and supportive people on the planet. Yet, I understand that fear. When we were struggling financially because we could not sell our home in Florida, I felt like a loser. I certainly did not want to let others know that I couldn’t even provide for my own family. And as a pastor, I was not about to let church members know that I was hurting financially. But my ministry friend helped me to see how this was a chance for God’s people to be blessed as they helped to pray us through the difficulties. And now that we only have one car and no possible means to purchase a used second car for our family, I am still dealing with that fear. Hearing fellow Christians tell me that I share too much online doesn’t really help release me from that fear, but God is able to take the fear away.

God does use our personal experiences as teaching tools for us and for others. Don’t be afraid to share with others your everyday life experiences. Who cares if someone else gets annoyed that you share online about losing 2 pounds, or let your spouse know how much you love them, or tell the world how hard it is to deal with the loss of a loved one, a friend, or even the family pet. Give God’s children the chance to be blessed as they rejoice and mourn with you…even online while hundreds of miles away.

As a pastor, God has called me to teach His people. Often this is done through my music ministry, but I also use this blog and social media as teaching tools. I do believe that God has also allowed me to go through some very difficult circumstances in life so that I learn and grow. Because of my experiences, I can be more understanding and helpful to those in similar situations, and I can be an example of how to endure those difficult situations. Personally, I would prefer not to learn by experience, but God knows what He is doing. I continue to walk down the long road leading to hope, building some character and learning patience through suffering as I rejoice in what God does in my life.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dirty Feet

Pampered and Pacified

Silent Lord's Supper