Family Friday Frenzy

We chose to sleep in a little today since it is my day off. We paid dearly for it. Our boys never sleep in. Sleeping until 7 AM is sleeping for them. So our morning began with yelling, screaming, doors slamming and then a 10 year old running into our room to hide under our sheets between us. This of course was followed by a 13 year old rushing into our room. We then heard through stereophonic broadcasting what had happened.

I don't think I could even write an example of how they both shared their version of the incident at the same time and rebutted each other without stopping for a breath. Here are the basics:
  • Ashton left the laptop on the arm of the recliner
  • Zachary sat in the recliner and leaned it back too far
  • The recliner tipped over
  • The computer fell
  • The disk drive broke
  • Ashton yelled
  • Zachary ran
  • Ashton chased
Now you are up to speed with our story. Unfortunately for the boys, they woke me up during a dream that had already put me in a bad mood. Now, I guess I need to share the dream for you to understand.

We were traveling to the seminary where Wendy and I graduated. We got off of a bus with all of our luggage and walked several blocks to register for a guest room. I was told that they had moved the registration office about four blocks down the road, right beside the place where the bus stopped. We went back to register and then walked back to the seminary campus. Wendy went shopping while the boys and I went to the swimming pool/water park (no, the seminary does not actually have one of these). While the boys were riding the many water slides, I was sitting and talking with Leonardo DiCaprio (I have no idea how he got in the story). Wendy shows up and tells us that we need to hurry because the bus was leaving soon. It immediately started pouring down rain. Wendy and the boys start walking quickly toward the bus stop, which was several miles away. Leonardo runs off in the opposite direction. I look down and have about 6 suitcases and many shopping bags that need to go with us. I call to Wendy to come help, but she just looks back at me and keeps walking with the boys. After they disappear into the rain, I decide to just leave all of her shopping bags and try to lug the suitcases several miles to the bus. Just as I reach the bus, soaked to the bone, completely worn out, Zachary comes running into our bedroom and hides under our covers.

Bad timing does not even begin to cover this situation. I growled, "I am not even going to get up until they have had their pills and there has been time for them to kick in." Wendy, having no idea that I woke up mad at her as well, growls back as she gets up to get them pilled. When I do get up, I proclaim to everybody as I walk down the stairs, "I do not want to hear one word about computers or you will be punished severely."

Well, it turns out that all I had to do was remove the disk drive from the computer, close the drive door on the drive and then reinsert it in the computer. But I am still in a bad mood. So, I told Wendy about my dream which made us both laugh. She asked, "So, is that how you see us all? I just go off shopping all the time?" [I generally have to force Wendy to buy anything for herself]

My mood had changed somewhat when Zachary starts whining about a game that was not working on the desktop computer. I snapped and declared that if I hear one more word about computers I was going to reformat everyone's hard drives. Most parents threaten their children with spanking or loss of privileges; I threaten to reformat their hard drives. At least it helped me laugh and get over my bad mood.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dirty Feet

Pampered and Pacified

Silent Lord's Supper