Deconstructive Criticism

I am certain that every music pastor has experienced "constructive criticisms" from their senior pastor. You may have even received it from other pastors on staff. And I am positive that you have received it from church members. We tend to get a lot of this because music is a very subjective area. Everyone has their opinions about the music that they enjoy and would prefer to hear.

I know that other ministry positions get just as much "constructive criticisms" from church members. I have heard everything from "you need to get somebody to clean that restroom" said to the Children's pastor to the typical "why do you preach so much about tithing" said to the senior pastor. That is all part of being in the ministry.

I can handle the complaints, criticisms and even compliments because I know that I pray about what God wants and that is what we do. I do not try to please the senior pastor or the casual attender when planning worship. I usually do not think anything about it when my pastor says that he would prefer that we start with 2 or 3 fast songs each service. Sometimes God impresses me to start with 2-3 slow songs and work toward something faster.

I started thinking about this when a member of our praise team mentioned that it really hurt their feelings when one of our pastors asked how the band was going to get by with several members of the band out. He did not realize that he was basically telling a musician that he believed these other musicians to be more superior and therefore did not see how the band could cope without them. Their response was simply that we have all of the positions covered. But my conversation with them reminded me of times that I have had pastors (preaching pastors as opposed to ministry pastors) say things like, "I don't think that the music we do really connects with the younger generation" or "I don't really like that song, can we use something different today." I couldn't help but wonder how well it would be received if I was to say to one of these pastors, "I don't think your sermons really connect with our younger generation" or "I don't really like that topic, could we use something different today." I would never do this because I know that it would have a negative impact on them.

I think that often people (yes, even pastors of all types) do not realize how much emotion is put into the preparation of a sermon or worship or even a solo. It doesn't take much to make an emotional impact on somebody who has invested so much of themselves into one of these endeavors. One negative, or even a perceived negative, comment deflects dozens of positive comments. Since I deal with musicians all of the time, I know better than to go up to one of my female singers and say, "Wow, that new girl really can sing...wish we had more like her."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dirty Feet

Pampered and Pacified

Silent Lord's Supper