Spiritual Gifts

I was thinking today about spiritual gifts. I often joke with people that whenever I have taken Spiritual Gifts tests I score the lowest possible score for mercy. But I actually do have lots of mercy when it comes to dealing with people in need. I think it is patience I don't have much of, because I definitely do not show mercy toward complainers, whiners, grumps, etc.

While spiritual gifts may sometimes change based on what God has planned for us, my strongest spiritual gift has always been discernment. You know how they say not to judge a book by its cover? Well, I can meet somebody and generally within a few seconds God reveals them to me. It can be scary at times.

I remember once when I was introduced to a pastor (not in a state where I have served during the past 20 years), he reached out to shake my hand and the moment his hand touched mine I instantly got this overwhelming sense of evil. A few months later I learned that he had an affair, stole money from his church, left his wife and moved in with his secretary.

Another instance of this happened the moment I set foot into a country (which I will not divulge). The entire time we were there I just felt this sense of oppression and evil as if it was trying to compress me. I enjoyed touring and visiting famous sites, but I was so glad to leave the country (which is another story in and of itself).

I have no control over this gift. God will sometimes use it to reveal to me a person's true intent, and when it happens, I am shocked by how surprised I am that God does such miraculous things. You would think that a minister would expect the miraculous since we tend to see it more often than the average person.

Remember how I said I was not very patient? When I am reminded of God's power through my gift of discernment, I often wonder why God does not reveal His plans for my life to me in as clear a manner? While I place my faith completely in God in many areas of my life, my lack of faith is revealed when God asks me to do something without giving me any of the details. I want to know everything and God says, "Trust me."

So what are your spiritual gifts? What areas of strengths and weaknesses do you have? It is good to take a little time to inventory your spiritual life. Somewhat like looking into a mirror and allowing God to reveal to us the person we really are. Just be sure that you allow God to change you as needed and not simply let Satan get you depressed by what you find.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dirty Feet

Pampered and Pacified

Silent Lord's Supper