Making the Cut

I saved up and purchased an iPad 2 as my Christmas present. I went with the wifi only model, because I had researched ahead of time and discovered that I could tether the iPad to my phone to utilize the 3G/4G when I am not where I can get free wifi. I have had it for less than two days and thought I would share which apps I decided were most important for me.

My first app was YouVersion's Bible app. After that, my goal was to get it set up so that I could use it as a computer replacement. While there are many free apps out there, I will start with the apps that I chose to purchase.

I must have access to my Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint files. I had already used Documents to Go by Dataviz, so I decided to purchase the Premium Office Suite
($14.94) so that I could also create and edit files for Word, Excel and PowerPoint on my iPad 2.


I also needed a way to print documents. The new OS 4.2 allows you to print to select printers which utilize the new ePrint or through Apple's AirPrint. But Print N Share ($8.95) by EuroSmartz allows you to print to any wifi or networked printer.


While having the ability to easily share my Microsoft files between my MacBook Pro and my iPad 2 may be important, trying to create a document with Word on the iPad is just not that great of an experience. So, I decided to get Pages ($9.99) by Apple.


Now that I had that covered, I needed to turn my attention more to the music side of my job. We use Planning Center Online by Ministry Centered Technologies for organizing all of our worship services. It allows us to put in worship plans, attach PDFs and MP3s for all songs, organize people and assign them to any tech area, instrument or voice, and many other great features. This is a free app, but PCO is a fee based service.

I also wanted to have some tools of the trade: so I choose the metronome BeatDown; Tartini in Tune for a vocal/instrumental chromatic tuner and pitch training; iShred LIVE so I can play around with my guitar once I purchase the Guitar Connect interface cable (this also includes a chromatic tuner and mentronome, and three pedals/effects come free with the option to purchase 9 more effects pedals); I also decided to purchase GarageBand ($4.99) just for another fun musical outlet (it also works with the Guitar Connect interface cable).

My next thought was Social Networking. The iPad does not have a Facebook app, so I researched the comments and discovered that friendly for Facebook was the best option. For my Twitter feed I already use TweetDeck, so I opted for that app. I also decided to get Dragon Dictation which allows me to speak my message and then send it to Facebook, Twitter or email.

I got a couple extra productivity tools: Dropbox for syncing and sharing files; UYH (Use Your Handwriting) allows me to quickly write out messages on the touchscreen; EverNote allows me to organize files, photos, notes, webpages, etc. so that I can organize lots of information from various sources; TeamViewerHD allows me to my iPad at home to log into my MacBook Pro in order to access anything on it, including programs; some financial tools; and Accuweather so I will always be prepared before I head outside.

My final apps were in the entertainment area (books, games and videos): iBooks, Nook, Kindle, OverDrive (for using Library ebooks), NetFlix, Angry Birds HD, Solitaire Deluxe, and a Lego Harry Potter game.

I am sure that I have missed some prized jewel of an app, so feel free to recommend your favorite or most useful app.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dirty Feet

Pampered and Pacified

Silent Lord's Supper