My Trip to the Twin Towers

As I stood on the rooftop of the World Trade Center in 1983, I looked down upon the New York City skyline. I believe it was called the Top of the World Observatory. The view was amazing that day with very little smog or clouds to obstruct us from seeing all of Manhattan and into New Jersey. I also remember thinking how cold and windy it was way up there above everyone else. And I must admit that I was slightly afraid to get very close to the railings.

I have looked for the photos I took that day with my Canon AE1 35mm SLR camera. I imagine that they are sitting in a shoebox somewhere collecting dust. It is possible that they were among the photos we lost in Florida when a hurricane ripped open our roof and rain poured into our home. But no Kodak moment can be erased from my mind because of a little rain.

I was 18 when I visited the World Trade Center and I would never have thought that just 18 years later that building, its twin, and several others would be gone forever. As I sat glued to FoxNews on September 11, 2001, I experienced a deep connection with those buildings that were being engulfed in flames. I clearly remembered my trip there to the rooftop and later eating in the cafeteria of the Twin Towers. It was one of my first intercultural dining experiences, right here in the United States.

I was the first in line from our group. I got my tray of food and went to find a table with enough room for our entire group to eat. As soon as I sat down, a young lady with a thick foreign accent asked if she could sit with me. I said yes and we started talking. I discovered that it was normal in Germany where she lived to share a table with others while dining, especially if you were dining alone. After we talked for awhile, I noticed that nobody from my group had joined us. I looked across the dining area and saw several of them looking in my direction and smiling. Well, I enjoyed my little intimate dining experience with that German girl whose name and face I have long forgotten. But that experience has given me something special to remember about the Twin Towers.

As it is for most Americans, today is an emotional day because of the terrorist attack against our country 11 years ago. In just that short time, some have tried to diminish the attack by omitting the terrorist part of the equation. Some have tried to ignore the facts concerning the Islamic Extremists that took part in the attack. Some would have us believe that America deserved the attacks because we have unfairly flourished while so many in the rest of the world suffer in poverty.

But we as Americans agreed 11 years ago that we would not forget. This was an attack against our country's financial and military centers. Islam had declared a Fatwa (Holy War) against us and they wanted to hurt us in the two areas that we were the strongest as a nation. They believed that if they were to cripple us financially and militarily that they could bring down the United States. What the terrorists failed to do, many of our own politicians continue to do by chipping away at our military strength and by attacking the core of our Free Enterprise system.

We need to stand strong against those who wish harm on us. We need to demand that our government continue to provide a strong military. That was the original sole purpose for taxing our citizens, so that the government can defend us. We need to stand strong against those who would bring down our small business owners or corporations. Don't allow any politician to demonize those who work hard to build a company that employs others who also desire to work.

And we need to get back to a faith in God Almighty who has preserved us and made us a free nation. God bless America.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dirty Feet

Pampered and Pacified

Silent Lord's Supper