Original Christmas Poems

I write because I have difficulty saying what I am thinking. I guess that is a typical problem for anyone with ADHD. My brain is usually 4 or 5 steps ahead of what I am currently doing. But writing helps me to organize my thoughts. One style of writing that I do more for my own enjoyment is poetry. Some of these have been combined with music for hymns, but most are simple poetry that I have done to express my thoughts. I thought I would share a few of the Christmas poems that I have written over the years, beginning with one I wrote this year.

Because of Who You Are
Stephen R. Poole
December 11, 2012

Days of travel on dusty trails, Bethlehem was still to far
Yet they continued with the trip, Because of who You are
Shepherds left their flocks, Wise men followed the star,
Angels sang peace on earth, Because of who You are

Wise men came from the East, Each one bringing a jar
Gifts for kings lay at Your feet, Because of who You are
Gold was used to buy a tomb, In a city not to far
This was done as was foretold, Because of who You are.

Myrrh was needed at the end, They spilled it from the jar
Needed there for just three days, Because of who You are
Frankincense was used to tend, Your body that they did scar
But soon You would rise again, Because of who You are

Chorus
Born in Bethlehem that night, Underneath that star
Born to die, new life to bring, Because of who You are
Because of who You are, Yes, because of who You are
My sin is gone I’m new again, Because of who You are

Additional Christmas poems may be found in separate blog posts. Click on the links below to view them.

I wrote "Bethlehem Manger" while in seminary for an assignment. I later added the music and have used it in a couple churches as one of the carols of Christmas.

"The Week Before Christmas" was written a week before Christmas in 2008. I wrote it after 11 performances of our Living Christmas Tree and then trying to accomplish the impossible task of buying Christmas presents and getting Christmas cards mailed all at the last minute.

I wrote "My Winter Holiday" last December as I was thinking about the war on Christmas-the intentional attack against Christmas by atheists. My thoughts were that many non-Christians begin with Christmas as an empty holiday, but once they realize that Christ is the reason for this special celebration the emptiness is removed.

I wrote "Christmas Hymn" last year as a form of stress relief following the busy Christmas program season. My wife challenged me to write it in a modern musical form, so I did.

The final one I want to include is not actually a Christmas poem, but rather one I wrote for use this past Palm Sunday. However, I think it is important for all Christians to remember that while we are celebrating the great gift of Jesus during this season, He was born to die. So I have included the poem, "A Crowd Had Gathered."

I hope you enjoy these. They are my gift to you this Christmas season.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dirty Feet

Pampered and Pacified

Silent Lord's Supper