Getting Your Hands Dirty

I recently purchased a beginning painting kit with a canvas, oil paints, and brushes. I thought I might toy with some recreational painting as a possible new hobby. I have only painted walls and furniture for the past 30 plus years, but I have had some experience with artistic painting. In first grade I did a freestyle painting of a clown that won a blue ribbon in an art contest. As a teen I painted a ceramic lighthouse and won first place in my age category at the County Fair. Neither of these artistic endeavors would have placed me anywhere near the same level as Rembrandt or Picasso or even Thomas Kinkade.

In the past, painting was less of a hobby and more of a means to express my creativity. I have dabbled in many such artistic endeavors: Broadway dancing, photography, drawing, painting, singing, playing piano/trumpet, architectural design, poetry, acting, and writing hymns, skits, stories, and even a children's book. I probably will never be famous for any of these, but they allow me the opportunity to release my dreams and ideas through these microbursts of creativity.

My new form of expression has helped me to remember something that I had tucked away in some dusty corner of my memory: an old saying that my dad taught me. This memory started as a distant bell gently ringing with the breeze, but the more I painted the louder and more incessant this memory became. In the end, I cannot remember what we were doing, possibly working in his garden that he loved so much, but I do remember the general point he was making: If you want to accomplish something, you have to get your hands dirty.

As I squeezed the paint from each tube, I could easily have taken one of the bristle brushes by the outer edge and lightly dipped the tip into some paint and then dabbed carefully onto the canvas in such a manner as to avoid getting any paint on my hands. I could have used a protective smock, rubber gloves, large rags, and countless other devices to avoid getting any paint on on my skin or clothing. If I had the funds, I could even pay someone else to do the painting for me so that there would be no chance of getting dirty in the slightest. But if I wanted to accomplish something unique, if I wanted to be a part of the creation, if I wanted the joy of experiencing this creative moment outside of a sterile environment, I would have to get my hands dirty.

Too often leaders want to sit back and direct others in the tasks around them. They attempt to create something from a sterile environment while instructing others in how the creative work should be accomplished. While this form of leadership can work, it renders the leader as an outsider from his own team. Those he leads only see him sitting on his ivory throne dispensing commands. It doesn't take long before the workers realize that their leader has little comprehension of the realities of the situation. Before long the workers resent doing all of the work while their leader gets all of the money. Leaders must get their hands dirty.


Another phrase that my dad taught me is this: never ask anyone to do something that you are unwilling to do yourself. These simple phrases are just two of many that my dad shared with me throughout my formative years, yet it is one that helped to shape me and make me the leader that I am. Throughout my ministry I have never been afraid to join in with others and get my hands dirty. I am not one to sit by idly while others work to build sets, move equipment, wrap cables, or clean up areas. If I am available, I will dig right in.

If you have tried to lead without participating in the work, let me leave you with one last nugget of wisdom from my dad: it is never too late to get your hands dirty. He didn't actually say this to me, but it is what I learned from those many times that he woke me up from a peaceful sleep and reminded me that I forgot to take out the trash. Now put down your computer, join your team members, and go get your hands dirty.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dirty Feet

Pampered and Pacified

Silent Lord's Supper