Fresh Views on Eternal Truths

Having read through the bible so many times, there are days when it seems that I am just going through the motions of reading without any comprehension. That is why I think it is wonderful how God directs me to so many great writers right about the time I need it most. Not to detract from sermons, but I am a visual learner, meaning that I learn more by sight (reading) than I do by listening.  Probably something to do with being ADHD.

I never want to be guilty of following any person other than Jesus. I never want to be guilty of listening to any voice over His. But there are times when a fresh perspective, a creative insight, or even an old-fashioned view of God's Word is exactly what I need to move from the plodding drudgery of my own spiritual walk into the glorious splendor that God has in store for me.

Again, I don't want anyone to misunderstand, I am not advocating that we have liberal minds when it comes to God's Word, but rather that we do not have closed hearts when it comes to hearing from God's Word. Henry Blackaby explains in his book Experiencing God that we can hear from God through the reading of His Word, but also through prayer, circumstances, and the church. As long as you are careful to measure the teachings of others against the Word of God, you can really grow in your understanding of scripture.

I would caution people to do some research before simply following the writings of a specific person too closely. Any person who characterizes themselves primarily by the teachings of any person or group other than God is someone you need to be cautious in using as a source for knowledge. Many writers will boast that they are Baptists, Catholics, Calvinists, Arminianists, Reformers, Lutherans, Non-Denomanationalists, etc. The organization they belong to is not as important as the person they follow. We should all be following the teachings and examples of Christ first and foremost.

When someone says they are a Baptist, they are indicating that they follow the teachings of  the Baptists. Since I am also a Baptist, I can understand their desire to clarify their beliefs, but even Baptists have interpreted scripture incorrectly and we do not want to be guilty of continuing to spread falsehoods. For example: many Baptists in the past, and some still today, taught that dancing is a sin, which is contrary to God's Word that lists dancing as one of the expressions of worshipping God. Baptists also taught that drinking anything alcoholic was a sin and tried to convince everyone that Jesus was only drinking grape juice when the scriptures use the word wine

Following the teachings of a specific theologian is even more dangerous than following the teachings of a specific denomination. At least with denominations they were generally shaped theologically by the understanding of many theologians. When someone says they are a Calvinist, it typically means that they are following the theological teachings of John Calvin. And comically, people have found a way to even moderate that claim by adding that they are a 3-point, 4-point, or 5-point Calvinist.

I personally am a 100% follower of Jesus. Yet I still enjoy reading the thoughts of others to help me understand what God is trying to say to me. Who are some of your favorite Christian writers/theologians?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dirty Feet

Pampered and Pacified

Silent Lord's Supper