Do Not Be Afriad

I suddenly realized that I only did one of my bible reading plans today. So, in the midst of boxes everywhere, while I was feeling overwhelmed and uncertain what to do next, and starting to feel a little panicky about this whole new adventure in our lives, I stopped to complete the final part of my reading plans and this is the verse that the study focused on:

Jesus immediately said to them: Take courage! It is I. Don't be afraid. Matthew 14:27

And the prayer that was printed for today:

Jesus, you know the circumstances and relationships in my life where I'm feeling caught in a storm, uncertain of how to make it through safely. I find such confidence in the thought that You came to me in the midst of these storms, urging me to take courage in Your presence.

I am now convinced that God shielded my mind from this part of my quiet time this morning because He knew I would need it this afternoon. While I am excited about this new chapter in our lives, we are definitely stepping out into a completely foreign and unknown ministry.

There are so many things that I do not know about church planting. There are so many stories of failures and pitfalls and troubles from former church planters. There are so many aspects of church planting that I find uncomfortable, such as asking people to support us financially.

Like Peter, I could easily become engulfed in the tempestuous strife of my own fears and discomfort. But Jesus is tenderly calling to me and saying, "Steve, look at me. Keep your eyes on me. I am the Master of the storm. I have the knowledge of what is to come. Do not be afraid. I've got this thing. Trust me."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dirty Feet

Pampered and Pacified

Silent Lord's Supper