Grace Is Greater Than Our Circumstances


A friend of mine from college grew up in a small town and attended a small church with his entire extended family. He told me that his grandmother was basically the one who ran the church. As the pastor would preach about a topic, his grandma would stand up, turn to face someone, point her finger at them and proclaim, “His talking about you, Wilbur.” Next time, “He knows all about you, Ester.”

I asked if anyone ever did that to her when the pastor was preaching. He said that nobody dared. They lived in fear of her arthritic, pointy finger.

Most of the time when we are confronted with our sins, our first response is to blame the circumstances that got us to where we are. The truth is that circumstances and obstacles will attempt to drown out God’s grace in our lives. We must rely on grace, even when our circumstances attempt to keep us from accepting God’s forgiveness and love.

As we finish our Grace is Greater series today, we learn that there are three ways to overcome our circumstances.

18 Give thanks in everything, for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus. (1 Thessalonians 5:18, HCSB)

Have a Thankful Attitude

Have you ever known someone that enjoys complaining? You go to a restaurant to enjoy a nice meal and they complain about the service, the waters pots on the fork, their food, their drinks, everything. “Some research suggests that making a habit of complaint can ‘re-wire’ the brain so that those particular thinking orientations become ingrained.” (Robert Biswas-Diener, Psychology Today) In other words, the more you complain, the more you find to complain about.

The Bible teaches us to have a thankful attitude in all things, regardless of our circumstances. God takes it personally when we complain, because it keeps us from focusing on the greatness of God and His grace. To overcome your circumstances, stop complaining and start praising God. Give thanks in everything for everything.

7b Therefore, so that I would not exalt myself, a thorn in the flesh was given to me, a messenger of Satan to torment me so I would not exalt myself. Concerning this, I pleaded with the Lord three times to take it away from me. But He said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for power is perfected in weakness.” Therefore, I will most gladly boast all the more about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may reside in me. 10 So I take pleasure in weaknesses, insults, catastrophes, persecutions, and in pressures, because of Christ. For when I am weak, then I am strong. (2 Corinthians 12:7-10, HCSB)

Recognize Our Need

The second thing we must to do to get over our circumstances is to recognize our need. Paul had a need and requested God’s help. God reminded Paul that His grace is sufficient even in his time of need. And notice that Paul responded in a thankful attitude. He took pleasure in his circumstances because they reminded him that when he is at his weakest, God’s strength is revealed in him.

28 We know that all things work together for the good of those who love God: those who are called according to His purpose. 29 For those He foreknew He also predestined to be conformed to the image of His Son, so that He would be the firstborn among many brothers. 30 And those He predestined, He also called; and those He called, He also justified; and those He justified, He also glorified. (Romans 8:28-30)

Trust God’s Goodness

Do you have a need? Have you talked to God about it? But we say, “I’m ashamed of the things I have done. God won’t forgive me. I don’t deserve forgiveness.” That is why it is called grace. Jesus took our place even though we did not deserve His forgiveness. Trust His goodness.

Watch this video to see just how great God's grace is...


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dirty Feet

Pampered and Pacified

Silent Lord's Supper