Tortured Tooth Tale

My tooth tale continues... I thought I broke another part of my tooth this morning while brushing my teeth. I made another emergency appointment with the dentist and was able to get in at 10:20. I must say that I am impressed with how easy it has been to get in with this dentist. I found out that I did not break another part of my tooth, nor was it another tooth. I lost another part of my filling. And, as Paul Harvey would say, for the rest of the story...

This filling is the entire cause of my recent tooth problem. When we first moved to Maryland we made appointments for all of us with Dr. Stephen Gentile in Belcamp. We did not think that we should check with people for references first, but it turns out that we made a very expensive mistake by not doing so.

The cleaning process was much worse than any I had every had in my life. I left with my gums very sore. None of us have had teeth problems prior to our visit, but we expected that Ashton would have some cavities because he really hates brushing his teeth. Much to our surprise, Ashton was the only one that did not have a cavity.

We returned to get our cavities filled and had another bad dental experience. After the Novocaine was given to me, the dentist started to drill. I immediately started to feel pain that almost caused me to hit the ceiling. The dentist gave me another shot of Novocaine and tried again. After just a few seconds he hit a nerve and I gripped the seat handles to keep from jumping. He gave me a third shot of Novocaine and continued to work. I still felt some pain, but not as much. I also was shocked by how much pushing the dentist and his assistant were doing. I thought they would push me out of my seat.

I left the dentist office with my entire mouth and tongue numb, but I was still in pain and my jaw was sore. My past experiences have been that I would leave the office numb, but with no pain. It took about seven hours for the Novocaine to wear off, but then the pain became even worse. My jaw felt like somebody had slugged me repeatedly. My teeth hurt for several weeks.

The appointments continued to pain us when we got our bill which was hundreds more than we expected. We were not told by the dentist that he did not use the old silver fillings, but only the more expensive enamel fillings. Our insurance (which we no longer have) did not pay for the enamel fillings. If that was not bad enough, the dentist also tried to bill us for services which the insurance did pay them for. We had to make multiple calls and finally copied all of the bills and insurance claims down to the dentist's office to have his receptionist go through so that they could make corrections.

Fast forward two years to the day my tooth broke. My new dentist explained to me that a filling had come loose and rubbed against the tooth. The tooth got weakened and then cracked causing it to break. Now guess which filling came loose? Not one of the old silver ones, but the expensive enamel one that Dr. Pain (AKA Dr. Gentile) filled. Seems a little suspicious to me. Unfortunately we have no way of getting the bad dentist to pay the $1027 that I am now paying to fix his poor work.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dirty Feet

Pampered and Pacified

Silent Lord's Supper