Apple Service Second to None

I woke up on Thanksgiving morning to discover that the hard drive in my Macbook Pro had failed. I was very disappointed because I have been so happy with my Mac. I decided that I would brave the crazy crowds of Black Friday to visit the Apple Store with my ailing laptop. Here is a short synopsis of my journey.

We drove to the Towson Town Center Mall, and after driving around 6 levels of the west parking garage we finally found a spot on the 7th (roof). I knew that the crowds would be crushing, so I braced myself for waiting a few hours to even see anyone at Apple. I walked into the store and stepped up to the Genius Bar. I was only there a few minutes at most when somebody asked if they could help me. I explained my situation and was asked if I had an appointment. Appointment? I did not realize that I needed to make an appointment to bring in my ailing Mac. I am sure that my face started to turn slightly red with embarrassment as I sheepishly responded, "No." The employee said, "Well, you are supposed to make an appointment to see these guys," as he motioned to the Genius Bar, "however," he continued, "since it is simply a hard drive I am sure they can help you."

As I waited for a few more minutes, I noticed the screen behind the Genius Bar display the following message: "There are no more appointments available today. The following people are awaiting service." This was followed by about 20 names. When one of the guys behind the Genius Bar asked how he could help me, I once again explained that I had a Mac with hard drive failure. He wanted to know how I knew it was the hard drive, so I explained that it would not come on and the hard drive was clicking. He nodded his head and said, "Yep, that is a hard drive failure."

He asked for my Apple ID and within minutes completed the repair request info. He then told me that he had good news and bad news. The bad news was that they did not have any hard drives in stock for my Mac. the good news was that they were upgrading it from a 250 GB to a 320GB hard drive for free. I was in and out in less than 20 minutes on the busiest shopping day of the year when I did not even have the required appointment. Now that is why Apple continues to have such loyal costumers.

Comments

Ashton said…
And why everyone hates Microsoft's Zune player.

Popular posts from this blog

Dirty Feet

Pampered and Pacified

Silent Lord's Supper