Heavy Hearts

I noticed that the vast majority of the new choral anthems that have been composed recently are what I would call pastural songs. By that I mean that they are not the big, energetic, fast, exciting songs with the big choral ending. Instead they have a beautiful, lyrical, and melodic flow with deep, rich harmonies that allow the listener the freedom to sit back and soak in the overpowering message that accompanies the song.

As I was speaking with my Ministry Assistant today, I commented that perhaps they understand the overwhelming stress of our nation with difficult economic news everyday, depressing prospects about the future of our country's safety and security, and an endless tirade of sub-par politicians telling us what we should care about or, worse, lecturing us about how our country, the greatest and best country ever to exist, is not good enough and needs to become like the failed countries of the world in order to be liked by others. As Christians we can also look around us and see the depravity of the world. Everyday we are faced with another uphill battle against Satan as he attempts to force immorality on the overarching culture of America.

I believe that composers not only see this, but also feel it in their own lives, churches, and communities, and perhaps that is why they have turned to these much needed songs of comfort and cheer. And maybe I am just seeing and hearing the things that I need to hear...because the Holy Spirit is just that way. "When I am down, He picks me up. When I am dry, He fills my cup." God is my all in all, my everything, and sometimes I need to be reminded of that.

If your heart is heavy, if your life is filled with stress, if you are at the end of your rope and you have no strength left to hold on or climb back to safety, let the Holy Spirit be your comforter, your companion, your caretaker. God does not expect us to always be happy. Jesus experienced sorry and sadness. Jesus cried at the loss of a dear friend. Jesus cried out to God with a heavy heart when he was facing the cross. God longs for us to come to Him even when we are desperate so that we can share with others how He got us through the difficulties of life.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dirty Feet

Pampered and Pacified

Silent Lord's Supper