With All My...?

We had a very interesting conversation on the way home from church today. During our pastor's sermon he mentioned that we should "Sing with Our Heart" and "Fill Our Heart with the Spirit." I mentioned that in biblical times they believed that the seat of our emotion was not the heart and that we translated the word that was used to heart because Western culture believed the seat of our emotion is the heart. That started a long conversation on how things would be different if we used the original biblical idea which would have been closer to "gut" or "bowels".

These were some of the examples that came to mind:

  • Sing with your bowels unto the Lord
  • Fill my bowels with the Holy Spirit
  • I love you with the love of my bowels
  • I've got the joy, joy, joy, joy, down in my bowels
  • Open the eyes of my bowels, Lord
  • Instead of "i [heart] you," it would be "I [large intestine] you" (sorry, I do not have the symbol for a large intestine, so I spelled these out)
I am sure that my wife was thoroughly enjoying the "boy" humor in all of this. She did tell us that we needed to be careful not to be sacrilegious in our joking around.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dirty Feet

Pampered and Pacified

Silent Lord's Supper