Life Scars


Have you ever had a scar? If you lived life the way I did as a child, you probably have numerous. I have one scar on the middle finger on my left hand. I got that scar when I was in 3rd grade playing the knife game with my brother. That should give you a hint as to why I have so many scars.

I have another scar on the thumb on my left hand. In fact, it is many scars covering my thumb. I am very fortunate to have those scars because I could have easily lost the thumb altogether. My thumb was almost completely severed by the handle of a Radio Flyer wagon back in 1970. I was tightening the bolt that connected the handle to the wagon when one of the kids I was pulling threw the handle forward slicing my thumb between the metal part of the hinge.

I have more scars, like the one on my pointer finger that was nearly sliced-off when it was closed in a door. The scar on my right leg where a pair a scissors went pointed end into it. The scar on my head where I cracked it open on a table while the doctor was trying to sew-up my thumb. A scar in my left eye where a pencil was jabbed into it. And more recently several on my elbow where I walked into our shed door at night.

Scars have a way of hanging on for years and reminding you from time to time about your past. One scar on my hand is on the palm side of my finger and runs right across the first joint. It still hurts me from time to time. When my hands get dried out it will crack and becomes very painful to bend my finger.

All of these scars I have mentioned are visible ones, but there are many types of invisible scars. I think everyone has at least a few of those; I know that I do. And just like the scar on my finger, invisible scars also have a way of hurting at times and reminding you of your past. 

Invisible scars are perhaps the most dangerous. They can eat at you day after day. Hurting you, annoying you, causing anguish that nobody else sees. This can lead to depression, anger, distrust, anxiety, fear, and even death.

If you personally suffer from invisible scars, please talk to someone and seek help: a friend, a parent, a pastor, a counselor, a teacher, or anyone and everyone that will listen to you. Don’t allow these scars fester. Don’t think about it, go do it now.

If you have experienced any invisible scars, you should know how damaging they can be. Let them remind you of the pain and suffering you have experienced and let them compel you to think about how you can help others overcome their own life scars.

September is National Suicide Prevention Awareness month. Visit NAMI for more information on how you can help those with invisible scars before it is too late.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dirty Feet

Pampered and Pacified

Silent Lord's Supper