Poetry

Poems are often very effective in making a point. Most hymns and songs are simply poems put to music. I thought I would share a poem I wrote 5 years ago for part of a Patriotic service. It is based on personal memories of my father leaving to return to Vietnam. He was a career Navy officer and a true hero. I thought of this again recently as my father, who is now almost 70, is suffering from some severe flashbacks.

War Never Ends
© 2001, Stephen R. Poole

I stood there near a ship
Looking out to sea
I hardly knew the man
He hardly knew me

His eyes spoke of hardships
Things too hard to tell
His hands rough and cracked
And then I heard a bell

He turned and looked at me
His voice choked, yet strong
“The war continues raging
I cannot linger long”

He turned, faced my mom
The tears began to flow
His fingers wiped the tears
I heard the whistle blow

Boarded, bound for somewhere
I watched him as he went
Whenever one fell wounded
Another one was sent

I never really knew him
Until the very end
The war, long forgotten
Left many wounds to mend

[NOTE: You may use this poem for church use or to send it to someone else, but please keep the copyright information with it. Any intention to include in any publication must be approved by me. Thanks.]

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dirty Feet

Pampered and Pacified

Silent Lord's Supper