The Writing Process

Often I am asked to read a skit or poem or to listen or sing through a song created by someone’s child, husband, grandmother, etc. I wish I could say that all of these creations that I have been asked to review were excellent. I wish I could say that about all of my own creations. The ugly fact is that sometimes what we created just stinks. And even though it hurts me deeply when people do not like something that I created, I need their honest evaluation if my creativity is to grow in a healthy direction. [NOTE: One thing that the American Idol television show has proven is that relatives and friends are not the people to ask—they will always tell you what you want to hear, not what you need to hear]

Perhaps the most frustrating art form is writing. Why? I think it is because virtually everyone considers themselves to be adequate writers. It is by far easier to imagine ourselves writing “The Lord of the Rings” or “To a Skylark” than to consider ourselves with the ability to paint the “Mona Lisa.” We glorify other art forms. After all, writing is basically the same thing as talking, right?

I recently watched the movie “Finding Neverland.” It is basically the story of J.M. Barrie's friendship with a family who inspired him to create Peter Pan. In the movie, Mr. Barrie encourages young Peter Davies to start a journal and just write about anything. That is in essence the beginnings of all good writing. I have been told that writing with pen and paper is best as it provides you with future material even if you choose to eliminate it from your current project. However, I have never enjoyed writing by hand and prefer the computer.

When I write, I seldom have the entire thing planed out. Usually if I am writing a dramatic skit, as I did today, I start with a basic theme. I knew that I wanted the skit to have something to do with eternal security since that is the subject for the sermon on the Sunday that we will sue this skit. I also knew that I wanted to include a reunion of characters that we had used during the 40 Days of Community program this past May and June.

Starting with this, I simply gave it the title “Ron Returns” and began to write the dialogue between the characters. Usually I do not have a title until after I have written the skit, so don’t dwell too long on trying to come up with a great title. Many movies and books go through numerous title changes before the public ever sees them. My writing is not a completely free flowing process as I do often cut sections of the script and paste them in other areas. I also add concepts in between previous dialogue in order to allow the current dialogue to make more sense or cut it out altogether when it has no meaning or purpose.

Normally I can sit down and write out an entire script for a 5-8 minute skit in about fifteen minutes. I write poetry in much the same way. The poem below (“War Never Ends”) took me about ten minutes to complete. Occasionally I will change my mind about meter and do some major revamping after most of the idea is complete. This can greatly increase the length of time it takes to complete.

But what good is all of this writing if it is never seen? Most people get discouraged with writing because the first poem or story they show to people is not well received. How do you decide if something you wrote is good enough to share? Start with someone you can trust not to be overly critical. If you have friends and family that enjoy reading what you have written, then try showing it to someone else. If people really think your writing is good, they will ask to share it with someone else.

Just remember that relatives and friends often give more approval than a stranger will. Eventually you will need the opinion of someone who won’t try to spare your feelings. Don’t be discouraged if you get several bad reviews. I look at these as opportunities to improve my self or at the very least to get a better understanding of what some people want.

Remember that writing can be as simple as keeping a journal or as intricate as creating a new world for your imagination.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dirty Feet

Pampered and Pacified

Silent Lord's Supper