Ceaseless Prayer


“We always thank God for all of you and continually mention you in our prayers” 1 Thessalonians 1:2 (NIV)

What a week this has been. I am thankful to everyone who has been there to help us out during this trying week.

If someone had asked me last Sunday how I was feeling, I would have said, “Fine.” The truth is that I was tired and had a sore throat and sore ear that I thought was the beginning of another sinus infection. But I wasn’t going to boor people with such mundane details of my health. I did feel grumpy and, in fact, got easily angered with my boys over the littlest things.

Monday I went to work and trudged my way through the important details of ministry preparation (worship planning, contacting volunteers, lining up sound checks, preparing for rehearsals, etc.). Monday evening we went to watch The Dark Knight Rises and I mentioned to my wife that I had a lot of soreness under my ribcage. That evening I could not sleep because the left side of my face started hurting so bad.

Tuesday morning I went to a local walk-in clinic and was told that I possibly had a tooth infection and was sent home with an antibiotic and an order to get a sonogram of my abdomen. I was also informed that my blood pressure was rather elevated, which could have been a direct result of the pain I was in. I basically had to suffer through the rest of Tuesday and Wednesday in pain. On Thursday I had the sonogram and was told that I have gallstones. I was told I would have to wait for my doctor to get the report and that I would probably consult with a surgeon. After that I went to the dentist and found out that I had a cracked filling that has gotten infected and that I now need to have a root canal done.

The real fun began on Friday. I went to work with plans to get some office work done and then head on our to the Harford County Farm Fair where our church rents a tent each year to share, witness, and pray with people. But, after a mere hour at work I decided that I needed to go home. I called a neighbor to ask if she could check my blood pressure. When she did, she was very concerned about how I looked as well as the elevated blood pressure. I mentioned that I had some pain in my chest and she recommended that I go see my doctor or to the emergency room. My wife then called my primary doctor’s office and spoke to the triage nurse who instructed her to take me to the ER.

That began two days of heart tests, which have all come back negative—which strangely means positive news). However, a surgeon consulted with my during the middle of my stress test and told me that he was scheduling me for surgery on Monday. So here I sit in a quiet hospital room on a Sunday morning thinking about what scriptural lesson I can learn from this or apply to this situation.

I thought about how this is forcing me to rest even though I have a million things to do, including missing out on our All About Kids Performing Arts Camp this week. However, anyone who has ever been in hospital will tell you that you do not get any rest there. I thought about how thankful I am that God has provided for is financially at this specific time to handle this extra costs. Just six months prior we would not have been able to pay for all of this. But I honestly never worry about financial needs because God has consistently proven to me that He is Jehovah Jireh. And I thought about how I have lots of extra time to spend in prayer. I think that is the one that makes the most sense to me.

God’s word teaches us that we are to always be joyful and to praying without ceasing. 

“Rejoice always, pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.” 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18 (NIV)

So, if there is something that you need prayer for or about, feel free to ask me to join you in prayer.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Hello! I just would like to give a huge thumbs up for the great info you have here on this post. I will be coming back to your blog for more soon.

Popular posts from this blog

Dirty Feet

Pampered and Pacified

Silent Lord's Supper