Family Memories

I was at a funeral today of a man who was around 80 years old when he died. His children, grandchildren and great grandchildren were at the funeral and most of them have lived near him all of their lives. It made me think about my own family.

I never knew either of my grandfathers. We visited each of my grandmother's homes about once a year. We always lived at least a days drive away. On a few occasions we had an extended visit with them. We had even less contact with my aunts, uncles and cousins. I can remember one time as a child when all of my dad's brothers and his sister got together for a day. There were several people there that I had never met and have never seen since.

While my own children are fortunate enough to have both grandmothers and grandfathers still living, they only get to see them about two weeks out of each year. With the exception of Ashton's first year, we have never lived close to either set of parents. And our boys rarely get to see their aunts, uncles or cousins. Our parents and siblings live more than 1000 miles from here.

I was wondering today if my boys will have much of a memory of their extended family. There is one cousin they haven't even seen in about ten years. I have only snatches of memories about mine. There are many family members that I do not even recognize in photos, and, sadly, I do not even know the names of some of my aunts, uncles and cousins. How nice it is for those families who do get to live close to each other and enjoy the large family events. How special it must be at holidays to have children, grandchildren and even great grandchildren running around as old friends.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dirty Feet

Pampered and Pacified

Silent Lord's Supper