People of the Light

Generally I prefer darkness at night. I don't like bright lights. Even when I am reading I do not want lots of lights on because it hurts my eyes. If I am watching a movie, I like to have all of the lights out. But there is something about this time of year when I do not get irritated by some extra light shining around me. It is nice to sit in a darkened room and look at the beautiful lights on the Christmas tree, the little lights shining from inside the snow covered ceramic houses underneath the tree, or the angel on the mantle with the sparkling and every changing lights on her wings and dress.

Christmas is a time of light. It is wonderful to drive around at night and see the decorative yards and houses bedecked in hundreds or thousands of twinkling bulbs of festive joy. It makes me feel like a child when I see home or business that has gone overboard to the point of looking gaudy. But there is a sense of excitement and anticipation that comes with viewing the almost ludicrous display.

In a manner of speaking, that is what we need to do all throughout the year. As Christians we need to exude a radiance which carries a message of joy, hope, peace and love to a world living in the darkness. We must be the reflection of the One True Light of the world, Jesus Christ. Even if others gaze at us and laugh at the ludicrous lifestyle that we appear to live. Darkness cannot comprehend the light, but the light can dispel the darkness. So take a little lesson from the Christmas displays around you and go out into the world and let your light shine for the child that came to us more than 2000 years ago and is the only reason for this season.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dirty Feet

Pampered and Pacified

Silent Lord's Supper